Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Baked Chimichangas

Out of all the different meals that I've made over the past while, this one is my absolute favorite! You'll hear me talk a LOT about the cook book that I pulled this one from. Lindsay Nixon's The Happy Herbivore is just fabulous. Most of the ingredients she uses are things that you normally have in your kitchen. So, you don't have to go out and pick up things like...pickled tofu cutlets (I don't think those exist...and I actually really hope that they don't).

Since Lindsay's Baked Chimichangas aren't offered on Lindsay's website, I don't feel I have the right to publish the recipe here. So, go pick up the book! Download it through Kindle. You'll make more recipes out of it than almost any other book!

Normal chimichangas are deep-fried burritos made from ground meat, cheese, beans, and rice. This recipe is pretty close, but without the meat and cheese...or the extra deep fat fried tortilla. And it's still amazingly delicious!!!

It requires making a quick No-Beef Broth, using Textured Vegetable Protein (it's the one "weird" thing you have to buy, but Bob's Red Mill offers it in a simple little bag that you can buy at any Whole Foods, Good Earth, or maybe even Harmons).
The Happy Hebivore
But when these come out of the oven, the whole wheat tortillas are so crispy and crunchy...the TVP "meat" is so amazingly flavorful, and then you just top it with frech quacamole and salsa. It's fabulous, pretty quick, and really easy. Make them tonight and let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment