Thursday, December 5, 2013

Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Citrus Cream "Cheese" Frosting - GF

So my mom, whom you'll see occasionally on here, texted me today for a "tried and trusted" dessert that she needs to make tomorrow night. Without asking, I assume she's got people who DON'T eat a plant based diet coming over for dinner. It actually wouldn't surprise me if it's the missionaries:)

 But anyway, I started going through my Pinterest board and books for recipes that I know I love. I came across the first plant-based dessert I ever made...it's deliciousness still titillates me to this day. Plant-based Carrot Cake Cupcakes. I mean, I have dreams about these. And for those of you who have Celiac...these are also GLUTEN FREE!
YumUniverse

 I don't know if she'll end up using the recipe (she may end up going with Rip Esselstyn's Adonis Cake), but just the thought of my cupcakes made me want to get them up on this blog.

I took the cupcake recipe from Heather Crosby's YumUniverse. I would recommend filling the cupcake liners to the top for a really nice full cupcake.

For the frosting, I did something a little different--my own concoction. I really wanted something that was thick like cream cheese frosting. Afterall, it's been a couple years since I've had cream cheese, but you never forget the taste of real cream cheese frosting and for me...coconut oil (which is really bad for us anyway) just doesn't cut it.

Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup silken-firm tofu - I love the firm because it creates a really creamy frosting
8-10 tbsp raw cashew butter - Just put a cup or two of raw cashews in a blender or food processor 'til they're the consistency of thick butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Honey to sweeten
Zest from 2 Navel Oranges

Blend everything together in a blender or food processor. Add the honey slowly, tasting as you go to get the right amount of sweet in your frosting. When you're finished top off the cooled cupcakes! You'll die and go to heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment