Friday, December 6, 2013

Enchilada Lasagna

Just last night a friend reminded me that she wanted to try this dish. When I first made the decision to go "Full-Kale" (as Mr. Rip Esselstyn coined--BTW, the man's like my dad's age and a total hottie), and jump head-first into a plant-based lifestyle, I knew I'd need some recipes that were good "break-ins." Foods that even picky eaters would like. Not that I'm a picky eater, but I wanted to stay safe. Afterall, all the movies I'd ever seen represented vegan restaurants and foods as tasteless yeasty groadiness (think "Baby Mama" when Tina Fey and Greg Kinnear go on their first date. Yeast balls, seaweed pizzas...blech. Or even "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" when she's trying to really irritate him and takes him to that vegan restaurant and he's sitting there dumping salt into the food and swishing water around in his mouth).

So, I started Pinteresting. And one of the first meals I found was an Enchilada Pie recipe. My family has tweaked it as we've made it time...and time...and time...and time again.

40 and Change
The first time I made it, I used Daiya cheese which is made with A LOT of oil, so it doesn't fit into the plant-based whole foods diet, but if that's what you want to use to "break in," go right ahead! BUT, I'll tell you right now, that the cheese sauce I modified is SOOO amazing.

ENCHILADA LASAGNA

Ingredients

1 small carton of mini Bella Mushrooms cut into tiny pieces to resemble ground beef
1 can of chick peas drained and slightly chopped in a food processor
1 can of drained black beans
1/2 cup of water
1 package of corn tortillas
1 can of enchilada sauce with no oil
1 bottle of roasted red peppers
1 can of olives
1 jalepeno

Taco Seasoning
2 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
Cayenne pepper to taste

"Cheese Sauce"

3/4 c unsweetened original almond milk
6 tbsp nutritional yeast (You can get this in bulk at Winco)
1 tbsp all-purpose wheat flour
1 tbsp raw cashew butter
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Directions

Add mushrooms, beans, and water to a saute' pan and cook on medium heat with taco seasning 'til mushrooms are cooked.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour and milk for the cheese sauce until all clumps are gone. Add milk and flour mixture and nutritional yeast to pot over medium heat and whisk well. Reduce heat to low-medium. Add cashew butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and whisk frequently until sauce thickens.

In a 9x13 casserole dish, cover the bottom with a very thin layer of enchilada sauce. Put a layer of corn tortillas, then bean and mushroom mix, cheese sauce, then a thin layer of the chopped olives and peppers. Repeat with all the layers until all ingredients are used. Bake on 350 (F) for 20 minutes.

Add extra chopped olives to top before serving, and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment