Tuesday, December 17, 2013

GMOs: Are They That Bad?

You know, I get teased at work for being a "Hippie." But for anyone who really knows me...I'm not. For one, I'm not into the "Free Love" and drugs. Two, I own a pair of leather boots which I'm actually wearing right now. Three, I don't think I own anything made from Hemp. And four, I believe in a down-to-earth approach when it comes to medicine. There are great advancements and benefits in the medical field. There are also great health-promoting things for us when it comes to diet and natural care. On the flip-side, I believe in vaccines, Nyquil, and Tylenol (I try to steer clear of Advil or Ibuprofen because it causes ulcers).

But, that's not what I want to talk about today. Today, I want to focus on GMOs. I'm gonna get a little "Hippie" on you today.

GMOs. Are they really that bad? Is organic produce really all that different?

The answer is two words: Heck. Yes.

Most of what I'd say is said by The Plant-Based Dietitan, so I'm first of all going to link you to her blog post here. There is a scripture (verse 4) in the Word of Wisdom that says, "In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiringmen in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation."

For those of us in the United States, we live in a society where we have rights. And Julieanna's post talks about this very thing. We have the right to know. We have the right to know exactly what's in our food, what's been used to produce it, and what the effects are from eating it. But what we're being "fed" by the government, is the very "evil designs" talked about in the WOW.

But everywhere we turn we are bombarded by ads.

"Got Milk?"
"Beef: It's what's for dinner"
"Pork: The other white meat"
"The Incredible Edible Egg"
"Eat More Chikin" (Sorry Chik-fil-A, your sandwhiches are very good, but very bad)

Now, these Have nothing to do with GMOs in our produce...yet. I'm getting there. I don't think we should ever eat anything that needs a commercial to sell it. Not only that, but we are constantly being told by the government, FDA, and other "research" that a little poison isn't going to kill us. A little radiation isn't going to harm us. *ahem*. I'm not pointing fingers! (In all seriousness...I kid).

A certain MormonAd from my teen years is brought to mind. In regards to morality, but the same can be said of real food--the things we take into our bodies:

What Kinds of FOODS Are You Feeding Your Body?



So there are pesticides, virus and bacteria altered plants (GMOs), radiation saturated fish, growth hormones in our meat and cheese, and we're all right with that? What are we taking into our "temples?" And what are these foreign poisons and unnatural foods doing to us?

This is where I talk about vaccines. Lately, it's been theorized that vaccines are causing the surge in autism amongst children. In fact, in 1990, only 1 in 2,500 children were autistic. Now...1 in 88 children are autistic. But I don't think it's the vaccines.

What's changed? Well, since the 90s, GMO crops (corn, soybeans, wheat, and others) have been introduced. Now, I'll admit that this is another theory...but for me, it's the one that makes more sense. Because Genetically Modified Plants contain neurotoxins. Yeah.

The animals we kills for food are also fed these GMO crops their whole lives and then we eat them and drink their milk. There are GMOs in our cereals, in our cookies, in our breads, chips, and...get this...90% of baby formula is FULL of GMOs.

What do we do? Not eat?

Because the list of foods on the grocery shelves made with GMOs, toxins, and other questionable materials is infinitely long. Beyond that, GMOs are not required to be tested by the FDA. Say WHAT????

Here's the good news. Eat Organic as often as possible. Breast feed, making sure you're eating a whole-foods, plant-based diet. Eat Organic cereals without added sugar. Eat beans, lentils, and peas. Eat Organic brown rice. Eat potatoes (and sweet potatoes-they're not just for Thanksgiving)! Eat organic prodce!

I really encourage everyone to read Julieanna's (The Plant-Based Dietician) article. Here's the link again. And happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment