Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Age Old Question...Protein

Ah, my favorite question:

Where do you get your protein?

Actually, this one came from "Anonymous" asking how vegans deal with "cutting" our protein intake. I'm going to sum it all up in one picture.


'Tis true. Elephants, Rhinoceroses, Giraffes...some of the largest land animals on the planet are vegan. And they have plenty of muscle mass. Want to know why? They still get their protein. And so do human plant-based eaters. 

But where?

Supplements?

Not on your life. In fact, once you switch to a plant-based diet, you can stop taking your multi-vitamin, you can stop taking your extra calcium pills, your vitamin D pills, your vitamin C pills, your herbal pills, your aspirin regimens, your allergy pills, your probiotics, your fish oil, your flax seed oil...all those supplements. Just toss them out. And replace them with one: Vitamin B-12. That's it. All vegans and vegetarians need to take a B-12, but everything is covered in a plant-based diet. 

So, now that we've discussed that we don't get our protein via supplements, I'll show you where:



And that's just a small selection. According to Dr. Jeff Novick (one of my favorite doctors...if I could have him be my personal physician, I would), he has an article (which you can read here) discussing how much protein the average person needs--he also breaks it down for athletes. 

He says, in general, according to the National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine,

"The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for both men and women is 0.80 g of good quality protein/kg body weight/d and is based on careful analysis of available nitrogen balance studies." 

So, for someone who is 220 lbs., 220 lbs. is 100 kgs. 100 x .8 = 80 grams of protein/day.

I weigh 135 lbs. now (woo hoo!) so that translates to 61.2 kgs. 61.2 x 0.8 = 48.9 g protein/day. Usually, in my day (we'll take yesterday), between oatmeal, wheat cereal, walnuts, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, flax seed powder...then for lunch I had white bean veggie soup and a berry salad (Zupas)...then Hippie Loaf for dinner with potatoes, I ended up at roughly 60 grams of protein--give or take. 

WAY over my needed amount. Shocked? Actually, ha ha...I kind of am. I've never broken it down before. Need more protein for higher weight? Just eat more! Bet no one's been able to tell you that before;)

I highly encourage anyone to read Dr. Novick's article. And for any athletes or body builders, take a look at this site...it might just blow your mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment