Oh, yikes. It scares me that this rumor has been circulated by those that peddle eggs (The Incredible Edible EGG!), Fish Oil supplements, and fish meat. Truly.
I try to find articles from other sources besides Vegsource (which is still one of my favorite resources for all things Veggie), and this one comes right from the American Cancer Society from July of last year (though, I personally, as you know, don't agree with the "moderation" mentality). Here's another one from the National Library of Medicine. Also, here are a few from some trusted plant-based sources: Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Pharmacist Dustin Rudolf, and Dr. Michael Gregor.
If you actually read those (there's a lot to read and watch, so I don't blame you if you didn't), essentially, here's what it boils down to:
- Those with the highest levels of omega-3 fatty acids have a 43% higher risk of developing prostate cancer
- 71% of those have a higher chance of developing high-grade prostate cancer, which is more likely to be fatal
- Oil supplements (flaxseed even), was found to increase prostate cancer risk, whereas whole flaxseed, EPA, and DHA were found to be protective
- 2.l million men in the USA are living with prostate cancer
- Men have 4x the risk of cancer progression if they eat poultry
- Less than 1 egg a day DOUBLES the risk of prostate cancer progression because of the choline (associated with omega 3s)
- Men who consume 2.5 eggs a week . . . a week . . . have an 81% increased risk of lethal prostate cancer
- The Egg industry is well aware of the cancer risks, yet still continues to tout that the amount of choline in eggs is actually healthy for us
In fact, if you look at this image over here, we see some well-known sources of Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
But what about the Kale? The walnuts? The seaweed, and the Flax Seeds?
In Dustin Rudolf's article he talks about this myth that men can't adequately get the "essential" fatty acids. And frankly, I can't say it any better than he can, so have a read:
An in depth look at the evidence makes one thing clear. Fish oil pills and other omega-3 fatty acid supplements DO NOT work. Data from the highest authority (The Cochrane Collaboration) and major medical journals have all come to this same conclusion. Omega-3 supplements don't work because cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes,inflammatory bowel disease, and many other chronic illnesses are largely, if not completely, due to our rich, Western diets. They exist because of multiple daily servings of meat, dairy, eggs, and junk foods. Not only do omega-3 supplements not work, but recent data from an article published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute last week shows that supplementing with omega-3 fish oil pills actually increases the risk of prostate cancer in men .
The only reason anyone has ever suggested supplementing with omega-3's is because omega-3 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids. That is, omega-3 fats are not naturally made by our bodies. We must obtain them from dietary sources. Hence, the recommendations to eat fish and/or supplement with fish oil pills or other sources of omega-3 fatty acids. However, when it comes to our health (especially long term) eating fish and swallowing fish oil pills is not in our best interest. To learn more about the topics of fats in the human diet please read my article - The Essentials On Fats In The Diet.
So where does all this leave us? It leaves us with the question of how to effectively manage the litany of chronic diseases people are suffering from. To adequately and responsibly address this we MUST start with the food, NOT with our medicine cabinets. No human being on Earth has ever been able to medicate or supplement their way out of a chronic disease. While medications and supplements may provide temporary relief to some individuals, they are no substitute for a healthy diet centered on whole, plant-based foods. It starts with the food! You can't fix your health if you don't fix your diet. To learn more about how to do this visit my page onnutrition or utilize the many other resources I've made available at Pursue A Healthy You. You have nothing to lose by doing so.
So, put down the supplements, put down the medicine, and fix your food. Our lifespans are no different than they were 2000 years ago (read the BOM, read the Bible...people were mostly living past 70 and right now, our mortality age is 79 in the US). Even with all the nutritional and medical advances . . . why are we not living longer? Why is the cancer rate increasing? It's because we keep thinking that all these individual vitamins and proteins and fats and teeny tiny isolated nutrients are going to protect us. So we supplement with over-processed lies.
It doesn't matter if fish or eggs have omega-3. Because guess what else they have?
- 1 egg = 212 mg Cholesterol (over 70% of your DAILY need)
- Eggs play a role in infertility and impotence
- Two words: Eggs. Salmonella
- Another two words: Fish. Mercury. (I don't know about you, but when the EPA says that virtually all fish have traces of mercury, and warns everyone (women who are pregnant, women who could become pregnant, and children) except for probably men to not eat fish...that's saying something)
So, consider the nutrients you're putting in your body. Is there a "it's good, but" then it's the cockroach in the ice cream. Why risk it?