Friday, January 24, 2014

Oriental No-Beef Wontons

This recipe . . . is a Veggie Mormon original:)

Last week I made a tofu shiitake mushroom wonton soup. So I had half a package of wonton wrappers left over. By the way, the wonton wrappers I used are the only thing that isn't really a whole food, so if you want whole wheat wonton wrappers (I'll be going to Whole Foods to buy these next time), buy Tang's Whole Wheat Wonton Wrappers.

But ANYWAY . . .

One of my favorite easy things to make is TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) meat. So naturally, I thought, "TVP . . . Wonton wrappers . . . BEEF WONTONS!"

These would make great appetizers (or . . . since I'm single and I pretty much whatever I want for dinner . . . you can eat like 12 of them at once)!


Ingredients

"Beef" Broth

  • 1 TBS low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 TBS nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce (I bought mine at Harmons)
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 cup water
TVP "Meat"
  • "Beef" Broth
  • 2 TBS steak sauce
  • 2 TBS low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp orange peel
  • 1 TBS hoisin sauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp Chinese 5-spice
  • 1 cup TVP
Wontons
  • TVP "Meat"
  • 2 diced green onions
  • Fresh Ginger
  • 20 Wonton Wrappers
Preheat the oven to 375° F.

Add everything for the broth into a saucepan, wisk together, and bring to a boil. Turn heat off and add everything needed for the "meat" except for the TVP. Wisk the ingredients together, then add the TVP, stir, and cover for about 5 minutes while the TVP soaks up all the liquid.

Prepare a muffin tin tray by placing the wonton wrappers inside and pressing them into the bottom, creating a bowl-shape. Then, fill with the TVP "meat" and garnish with green onion and grated fresh ginger. Then, bake in the oven for 9 minutes, or until the wontons get crispy and turn brown on the edges. 

And that's it! Hope you like my creation!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment