Saturday, February 8, 2014

Gnocchi alla Genovese

So, I've never done Gnocchi  before (pronounced "nyokee") but I've ALWAYS wanted to. Gnocchi is a pasta usually made out of flour and potato starch. When I found this plant-based recipe, I was so excited because it looked SO good. BTW, I have to credit Pinterest for this find. I actually find most of my recipes this way, and I love it.

I found this particular Gnocchi alla Genovese recipe on One Green Planet. The problem I quickly ran into, however, while I was shopping, was that I could NOT find a pesto that wasn't made with oil and parmesan cheese. Of course, in order to rectify this problem I went to the only place I could think of that would have a non-oil, non-cheese pesto recipe . . . that's right, Pinterest. And I found this Oil-Free Vegan Pesto on Healthy Girl's Kitchen.
One Green Planet
I think that this recipe would also go really really well with asparagus added in (the more veggies the better, right?!)! And, I also purchased the whole wheat Gnocchi from Harmons (Cucina and Amore brand). It's really good!

I hope you like it as much as I did! And a perk? This is relatively easy and quick to make!

Gnocchi alla Genovese

Serves 2 as a main, 4 with sides | Cooking Time: 10-15 min.

INGREDIENTS:

1 packet of gnocchi
two handfuls of frozen green beans
two handfuls of frozen peas
2-3 tbsp pesto (recipe below)
1/2 cup soy cream (or non-dairy milk--I used Almond Milk)
PREPARATION:

Steam the green beans and peas over a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
Pour the cream and pesto into a large pan to simmer.
Add the gnocchi, stirring to cover them in creamy pesto sauce. Stir in the peas and beans, then serve while it’s still hot.

Oil-Free Pesto
2 cups tightly packed fresh basil
1 to 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped (to taste)
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
Sea salt (or not) to taste (I didn't use any!)
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Place the basil, garlic, walnuts, pine nuts, lemon juice and nutritional yeast in a food processor fitted with the S blade. Pulse to combine, until the mixture is coarsely ground.


Turn the motor on and drizzle the vegetable broth in a thin stream. Taste, Add the sea salt (or not) and pepper to taste. Pulse a few more times to combine.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment