Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Arrivederci!

No, I'm not leaving this blog (though my absence over the last few months would probably suggest otherwise). BUT, I'm getting ready to go on a trip to Europe next week! WOO! I'm so excited! And, I won't lie, I've been slightly nervous about what to eat over there. For three days I'll be in Rome, and for another three I'll be in Athens. A bunch of native Greeks told me that I'm going to be perfectly fine eating authentic Greek foods in Athens because a LOT of their foods are plant based. Everything from Horta to Fasolakia, Mavromatika, Gemista, Gigantes, Fava, Briam, and SO many other dishes. I'm very excited!

And of course we have Italy, the country that birthed spaghetti and pasta carbonara (a triple whammy dish full of eggs, meat, and cheese). Though the food choices will be a little slimmer because the Italians love their cheese, I'll be able to eat lots of pizza marinara, pasta all'arrabiata (I think that's how it's spelled), and a few other dishes.

In honor of my trip coming up (all of my dishes of which, I'll document and share with you), I decided to make some plant-based lasagna rolls last night. This recipe comes to us from, again, my favorite food guru: Lindsay Nixon, the Happy Herbivore. You can find the recipe in her first recipe book, The Happy Herbivore AND online on her website here. And I'll be honest, I didn't actually follow the recipe. Why? Because I fell in love with another "cheese" sauce. Dreena Burton and her Plant Powered Kitchen makes a wonderful Mac-Oh Geez! recipe:) But the cheese sauce doesn't have the nutritional yeast in it that gives it that overly strong taste (which is perfect for a ricotta stand-in).

When I made this last night, I didn't have the brazil nuts or the mustard powder, or the lemon juice. So, as what's great about cooking . . . I improvised. Instead of the 1/2 cup of Brazil nuts, I just used another 1/2 cup of cashews. Instead of the mustard powder, I used an actual TBS of dijon mustard. And instead of the lemon juice, I used lemon pepper. I also omitted the non-dairy milk (and of course, the oil) because I didn't want it to be liquidy (Yes, liquidy is a word for the sake of this post).

Just mix up in the blender, mix with the spinach, spread on the cooked lasagne, roll up, and cook as directed in the Happy Herbivore recipe! It's SOOO wonderful! I might just have to stop into one of the restaurants in Rome and teach them how to do this.

(ha ha. Just kidding. That would scare the crap out of me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment